I’ve been using vegas pro for more than 2 years now. It would be my pleasure to present to you a little review of this fantastic and amazing video editor. This application falls under non-linear editing (NLE) system. FYI purposes, this application was originally designed and developed by Sonic Foundry and now run by Sony Creative software. Sony vegas has evolved into more robust application. For years, this was just an audio editor but now it supports multi-track video and audio editing features. It also allows users to apply stunning effects specially now that many third party software developers are creating plugins for more complex effects such as NewBlue, Genarts sapphire, and templates are recently created by Digital Juicer. Sony vegas has open its doors to openFX plugins too.
I mentioned several stuff about visual effects but guys don’t ever try to compare Sony Vegas against Adobe after effects. Don’t you ever try to compare apple against oranges. Sony vegas is an NLE video editor unlike after effects which is a motion graphics animation and a compositing software.
So WIIFM? Sony vegas is first with stereoscopic-3D editing. It has advanced video stabilization which analyses on the X, Y, and Z camera axes, 3D floating window creation and FX/Transition depth settings, built-in 3D titler pro, enhanced GPU Accelerated Performance, and many more.
Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
OHCI-compatible IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape)
USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders)
Windows-compatible sound card
DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc™ burning only)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (included on application disc)
Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files
Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)
Supported NVIDIA or ATI cards for GPU-acceleration (please see the GPU acceleration page for more information)
*You must provide registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc., a US company, in order to activate the software. Product requires online registration within 30 days.
Official site: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro
Here are the signficant features.
1. Vegas Pro 10 has a very good image stabilization capabilities but with the enhancement in Vegas pro 11 it is more seamless that what it was before. For better and smoother result, it analyzes the x, y, and z axes. It also includes automatic rolling-shutter correction wobble effects caused by some CMOS camcorders.
2. Multicam editing. Vegas pro 11 allows users to edit multicamera productions efficiently by specifying shots as you playback your project. Maximum of 32 video sources can be switched by using shortcut keyboard commands or by a click of a mouse.
3. Sync Link. This powerful editing feature enables users to easily organize and synchronize events on the timeline during editing. “Child” clips associated with a “Parent” clip can be moved independently on the timeline, while moving the Parent clip also moves the child clips in perfect sync.
4. 3D Titler pro. This enables users to add animations, professional-style templates, and effects to their titles.
5. Audio Production. The package includes a powerful audio recording and editing tools. It supports 24-bit/192 kHz resolution, VU meters provide a useful measurement that averages peaks and troughs to provide a visual representation of the perceived loudness of your audio material, supports the popular VST plug-in format for better audio effects, input Buses that allows to record, monitor, and mix audio from external devices via input buses and many more. These are advanced extensive tools to create fascinating effects.
6. Most of all, the enhancement of GPU acceleration for a speedy render of your projects. See the comparison of Vegas Pro 10 renders against vegas pro 11.
Rendering to XDCAM EX: 2.5 to 3.0 times faster
If you want all technical specifications of the application, please click here.
If you want to buy the software, click here.
If you want to try before you buy, then download trial version.
Sony Vegas 11 in action: