Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate version can support up to 192GB of memory so motherboard manufacturers should get closer to it if they can’t make something that would match to Windows physical memory limit. And MSI is leading it’s way to this principle. They released X79A-GD45 which can support up to 128GB of RAM. Yes, it’s not a typographical error.
Who would possibly benefit this? Of course, those individual who are into motion graphics animation where extensive memory usage is required. With proper component combination you can create a monster machine which will definitely suit your individual needs. Another target market is the hard core gaming society and research groups.
From newegg website it is available for $235 from $260.
General product overview from MSI official website can be viewed here.
• Supports 2nd Generation Intel® Core i7 processors in LGA2011 package.
Please refer to CPU Support for compatible CPU; the above description is for reference only.
• Intel® X79 Chipset
• Supports eight unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600/1800*/2133*/2400* (OC) DRAM, 128GB Max
- Supports Quad channel mode
• 3 PCI Express gen3 x16 slots
- PCI_E1 & PCI_E4 support up to PCIE x16 speed
- PCI_E6 supports up to PCIE x8 speed
• 2 PCI Express gen2 x16 slots
- PCI_E2 & PCI_E5 support up to PCIE 2.0 x1 speed
• 1 PCIE 2.0 x1 slot
On-Board SATA • SATAII controller integrated in Intel® X79 chipset
- Up to 3Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports four SATAII ports (SATA3~6) by X79• SATAIII controller integrated in Intel® X79 chipset
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA1~2) by X79
- SATA1~2 ports support Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (AHCI / RAID 0/1) by Intel X79
- SATA3~6 ports support Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (AHCI / RAID 0/1/5/10) by Intel X79
• 1 USB 3.0 internal connector by NEC® D720200
• 2 USB 3.0 rear I/O ports by NEC® D720200
Audio • Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
- Meet Microsoft Vista Premium spec
LAN • Supports one PCI Express LAN 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Intel 82579.
Internal I/O Connectors – ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- 4-pin Power connector
- CPU x 1 / System x 4 FAN connectors
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 1 x chasis intrusion connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 connectors
- 1 x USB 3.0 connector
- 2 x Serial ATAII connectors
- 4 x Serial ATAIII connectors
- 1 x Serial port connector
- 1 x TPM Module connector
- 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
- 1 x Power button
- 1 x OC Genie button
- 1 x Multi BIOS switch
- 1 x Voice Genie connector
- 1 x MultiConnect Panel connector
Back Panel I/O Ports- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard port
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse port
- 1 x Clear CMOS button
- 1 x Coaxial SPDIF port
- 1 x Optical SPDIF port
- 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack
- 6 x USB 2.0 ports
- 2 x USB 3.0 ports
- 1 x 6 in 1 audio jack
BIOS • The mainboard BIOS provides “Plug & Play” BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface(DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.
Dimension• 30.5cm(L) x 24.4cm(W) ATX Form FactorMounting
• 9 mounting holes.